Friday, October 10, 2014





TASK #5

January 28th--February 4th

Ten Truths

Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies. Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Try saying "ten truths" ten times. Difficult. Writing ten truths about yourself? More difficult. We do something stupid then justify it with lies. Why? Because we can't face the truth about ourselves.

We see what we want to see. We tell ourselves what we want to hear. 

It is be impossible to become what you want to become if you can't face who you are. 

So that's what has to be done. It isn't easy. In my case, I started with the low-hanging fruit: I bullshit, which is a bullshit way to say I lie. Not all the time, but when it's expedient; and I pontificate. I act like I know more than I do, and I am loud about it.

Those were the easy truths, meaning that they were easy for me to face because they are really superficial--let's face it: almost every man lies when it's expedient and bullshits with impunity. 

So I had to dig a bit. 

It took me a while, and though I was alone with pen and paper, I still wriggled and squirmed and felt guilty and ashamed. And when I was done, I felt good.

I will share one with you. Number 6 on my list: I am a grown man with a wife and children, and each day of my life I rise out of bed with one mission--that I will do whatever I have to do that day to make sure that they have a roof over their heads, food on the table, clothes on their backs and maybe most importantly, that they have my unwavering support and love.

But here's the truth: sometimes I can give a rat's ass about my wife and kids. Sometimes I just want to run away and be alone and not worry about anyone other than myself, and to hell with the mortgage, the IRS and the college savings plan...

That's how I feel sometimes.   



TASK:

Part One: List ten truths about yourself. Don't spare yourself.
Part Two: Read them to your best friend. (Note: this is optional. But do write them down.) 


TASK:

Part One: List ten truths about yourself. Be brutally honest.
Part Two: Read them to your best friend.  (This is optional.)




Questions? Comments? Arguments? E-mail me at joedoebula@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment