Friday, October 10, 2014





TASK #23

May 31st--June 6th

Retail Therapy

"Whoever said money can't buy you happiness didn't know where to shop." Unknown

Human's have three needs: 1) to stay alive, no matter how; 2) to have sex, or at least think about sex; 3) and to shop, or dream about purchasing something.

All three of those needs have been exaggerated during this pandemic. Speaking for myself, I want to survive COVID-19, so am am practicing social distancing, staying at home and wearing a mask when needed. Also, I have been feeling intently drawn to my wife in a way that I haven't felt for a long time. And when I say "intently drawn" that is my nice way of saying "hot for". And last, I have been burning up the Amazon website, buying all sort of things. 

I used to give my wife crap about shopping, but I have discovered the deep well of satisfaction and well, fun, that comes with shopping. Hell, I bought a hubcab from a '63 Corvette on Ebay just to hang it on my workshop wall...

Now, it can be both a time-suck and wallet-draining experience to shop on-line, and I found out that my wife prefers to buy her own bras, but for the most part, I have found it to be liberating, and in these times, that is a good thing.

TASK:

Buy yourself something. Something for yourself. Something you want. Something not necessarily practical. Something that makes you feel good. But there are rules:

Rule 1. There are no rules on what to buy. 

Rule 2. Set a dollar limit. You ain't getting a Ferrari no matter how much you want it. You can't spend more than you can afford because you'll feel bad after you buy whatever you're going to buy and the point here isn't to feel bad. For me, I allotted $200 and spent $165 on a used banjo). Measuring stick: the amount you should spend should be the same as you would bring to Vegas to lose.

Rule 3. See #1. 

I sat down a drew up a list of things I wanted but I normally wouldn't buy because there are other things--more sensible things--that I need first. My new list had stuff on it like a Metallica hoodie, a billiard stick, a leather bra for my car, a portable charger for my phone and other electronics, and leg weights. I opted for the banjo.

Rule 4. Shop by yourself.

Rule 6. Enjoy yourself.



Send me a picture of what you bought. JoeDoeBula@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment