Friday, October 10, 2014




TASK #44

October 30th--November 6th

COMFORT ZONE

Half the people in American are faking it.   Robert Mitchum

There was a time when I thought nothing of taking risks. Nothing. At the drop of a hat I would set off for Mexico, where on one memorable occasion I drank tequila and smoked cigars at a rooftop bar with a trained monkey. I have the picture to prove it. I NEVER used a seatbelt, I stole a ham and a lemon meringue pie from a smorgasbord restaurant (I ate the ham and threw the pie at a hitchhiker), I got drunk and locked myself out of my hotel room--naked--at the Barbizon Hotel in New York City, I took a crap in the backseat of my friend's car and I had sex with a girl with her parents in the same room.

All risks. Gladly done. All silly and stupid but just as much a part of my development as puberty and peach schnapps. 

But lately I've been watching my behavior. I've been more wary of taking chances, more afraid of consequences. Let me put it this way: I spend a lot of time thinking about things like insurance, security systems, breath mints, and what time I be home so I can watch a reality competition show...

I don't go to clubs anymore, I don't go hiking anymore, I don't even go to the beach anymore. Too much of a hassle. 

So I decided to wrench myself out of my comfort zone. I was asked by a friend to accompany him and his friends to a hip-hop show at a bowling alley that had been converted into a small concert arena.  A hip-hop show. That wouldn't START until 11pm. In a small club in a bad side of town.

I don't go to clubs. I don't like hip hop. I am in bed at 11pm.

But I went. And drank too much. And I used UBER to get home (another first). And I had FUN!!!


TASK:

This week you are going to step out of your comfort zone. 

Try Indian food. Try rollerblading, Shave off your mustache or shave your head. Go to a foreign film or take a yoga class or corner your boss with a crazy idea.

Wake your ass up! Do something out of the ordinary! Carpe Diem, mother f--er!






Let me know what you did: joedoebula@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment